Cross Plains United Methodist Church began in 1898 in a one-room building on the corner of Payne Bridge Road and Main Street. W. L. Harwell was the first minister.
In 1925, the church moved to its present location and in 1955 Sunday School rooms, bathrooms, a kitchen, and a fellowship hall were added. In 1969 a new parsonage was constructed.
In the 1970s, land was purchased and utilized as a parking lot. The congregation has approximately 220 members and belongs to the Tennessee Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church.